Hokkaido Squash Soup

By Mélanie, on Friday, January 30, 2009

P1000623

Do you remember when I told you I was very intrigued obsessed with winter squash? It seems to me it is the quintessential winter comfort food, putting you instantly in the right mood to enjoy the cold crisp air outside (and the warmth of your home). The possibilities are endless (galettes, salads, pies, risottos, etc…), and I’ve got so much to catch up!
So, as I attempted to cook for myself de bons petits plats (tasty little dishes), I naturally turned to the tempting Hokkaido squash at the farmer’s market. As long as making comfort food, why not going to the end of the concept, with a warm meal, simmered for hours… A SOUP. I know, I maybe watched Top Chef too much, and the continuous repetition of “Soup is good”, “Soup is love”, “Soup is the best test for a chef” finally totally brainwashed me, because I made my 4th soup in 2 weeks yesterday evening. Or I’m very cold. Or both actually…

P1000612P1000613

Anyway, when my guests asked for second helpings, I felt my mission was accomplished. And now, this is for you...

Roasted Hokkaido squash soup

1 2-pound Hokkaido squash peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 pound once peeled and roasted)
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ onion, chopped
1 shallot
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 cups (or more) canned low-salt broth
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Roast squash, cut sides down, in an oiled roasting pan in middle of oven until tender, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape flesh from skin.
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and shallots; cook until softened, about 2 minutes, before stirring in celery until tender. Add squash, broth and coriander seeds. Cover and simmer until pumpkin is very tender, about 20 minutes.
Purée soup in blender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.


Soupe au potimarron rôti

Le fait de rôtir le potimarron avant de le cuire à l’eau fait ressortir son goût de noisette, et permet un épluchage bien plus facile.
1 petit potimarron (environ 1kg entier – 500g de chair rôtie au four)
1 branche de céleri
½ oignon jaune
1 échalote
1 cuillère à café d’huile
1 cuillère de graines de coriandre
50 cl d’eau
1 bouillon cube dégraissé
Sel et poivre

Préchauffez le four à 200°.
Coupez le potimarron en 2. Videz les graines, et posez le dans un plat à four, face découpée en bas, en ajoutant un fond d’eau. Faites rôtir le potimarron pendant environ 30 minutes, jusqu’à ce que la chair soit tendre.
Pendant ce temps, émincez finement l’oignon, l’échalote et le céleri. Faites chauffer l’huile dans un fait-tout sur feu vif-moyen. Une fois chaude, versez-y les oignons et échalotes et faites revenir 2 mn avant d’ajouter le céleri. Baissez le feu, et laissez cuire.
Creusez la courge avec une cuillère et placez les avec les oignons, la coriandre et le bouillon-cube dans la casserole. Couvrez d'eau aux deux-tiers, et portez à ébullition.
Posez un couvercle et laissez cuire 20 mn à feu moyen.
Passez ensuite au mixer et rectifiez l'assaisonnement en sel et poivre.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment